Friday, May 6, 2011

You've gotta start somewhere

So I just finished my very first radio broadcast, the shaking has subsided and my stomach has returned to it's normal state. 


What a morning!!!! At first I couldn't log in to let the DJ before me know that I was in. And the most dreaded sound in radio...nothing...dead air. Screw it, I thought, I'm just going to start my broadcast without checking in, we can't have nothing playing. I started off with Black Moth Super Rainbow. I ideally I was suppose to talk over this track introducing myself and the show, but I figured I could do that later on, something was needed now to fill the void! Music playing, check, rearranged playlist so I could talk later over an instrumental, check. What do I say???? My instrumental came far too soon and I stammered a hello. But if you were listening you might of thought I was interference, my mic was soooo low! I came out as a faint whisper over the music. Roll with the punches. I still hadn't figured out what to talk about other than the music. Thank God for music. Towards the end I was able to pull it out and managed to be audible by getting right into the mic, licking it if you will. A trip to Best Buy this weekend should fix that.


I swear right afterwards I took one of those huddled-in-the-corner-rocking-myself-slowly-showers. I couldn't wash the stench of nerdy intern off. But after it was all over, and I received tips and encouragement from my fellow DJ and freshly showered, I felt better about it. I'm still a long way off from NPR, but a baby step closer.


Was my first time stressful and traumatizing? Yes! Am I planning to do it again next week? Absolutely!


Here is a playlist of my first set and link to the show! http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/erica-6-may-2011/id348527752?i=93961418


Black Moth Super Rainbow-Smile the Day After Today
LCD Soundsystem-Someone Great
Flying Lotus-MmmmHmm (feat. Thundercat)
Flying Lotus-Tea Leaf Dancers
K'naan-Fire in Freetown
Joy Division-Love Will Tear Us Apart
Skye Edwards-Feel Good
Fujiya & Miyagi-Skinny Punk
Jazzanova-Lie (feat. Thief)
Empire of the Sun-Standing on the Shore
Best Coast-When the Sun Don't Shine
Jack Penate-Tonight's Today
Coconut Records-Nighttiming
St Vincent- We Put a Pearl in the Ground?
Michael Jackson- I Can't Help It
Feist-Intution
The Cure-Object
Tortoise-Dear Grandma and Grandpa

No comments:

Post a Comment