Friday, July 29, 2011

I'm STILL Not Use to It

I can't get over the sound of my voice on the air. I guess I'm like most people, when they hear the sound of their voice, shocked that they sound that way. I've always hated my voice.

When I was in high school I was told by a P.E. teacher (a freaking ancient wrinkled and bitter woman who was a P.E. teacher for Christ Sakes!!!) that if I wanted to be taken seriously I'd need to work on my voice. If I was in my right mind I should have asked her:

"I see how far you've gotten in your life, how? Tell me how do I work on my voice? How can I make my soft feminine voice growl like your husky manly one so that I may one day to be an 80-year-old sun-withered P.E. teacher like yourself?"

But I was shy and embarrassed that she had insulted me in front of the entire class. I couldn't change the sound of my voice no more than she could change the extra folds of skin surrounding her neck and her knees. Sometimes I wish I had a time machine. I would tell bashful teenage Erica to stop being such a pussy. That high school and the narrow-mined people in it don't matter. If I had known that then I probably would have gotten into far more trouble.

All that was to say despite my best efforts somethings still bother me. My voice being one of them. It's probably why I'm so vulgar. Cute girl, cute voice throw everyone off by talking like a sailor :0)

This week's playlist:

St. Vincent - Surgeon
Alex Ebert - Truth
The Horrors - Still Life
Tv on the Radio - Will Do
Portugal. The Man - Sleep Forever
Cold Cave - Confetti
Erykah Badu - Gone Baby, Don't Be Long
Shrift - To the Floor
Kele - The Other Side
Royksopp - Poor Leno
CSS - Let's Make Love and Listen to Death From Above
Passion Pit - Little Secrets
K-os - Superstarr, Pt. Zero

No comments:

Post a Comment